1. Identify large files and delete unnecessary ones: The first step to freeing up space when the C drive is full is to identify and delete any unnecessary files. This can include things like old documents, photos, videos, music files, and software that is no longer needed. To view what’s taking up space on the C drive, click the Windows Start button and type in “Disk Cleanup.” Select the C drive to launch the utility and see a list of files that can be removed.
2. Move files to another drive: You can free up even more space on the C drive by moving files to another drive. This can be a separate physical drive or an external drive. To do this, open File Explorer and then select the files and folders you want to move. Right-click and select “Cut” to move the files. Then open the other drive, right-click, and select “Paste” to place the files here.
3. Uninstall unwanted applications: Many applications, programs, and games can take up a lot of space on the C drive. To remove any unwanted programs open the “Settings” app and select “Apps.” This will display all the applications installed on the computer. Select any unnecessary programs and tap “Uninstall” to delete them.
4. Increase disk storage space: If the C drive has a particularly small amount of disk storage space, you can expand it. All you need is another hard drive or a new partition. Consult a computer technician for help with this step.
5. Use cloud storage: Many cloud storage services like Dropbox, iCloud, and Google Drive can give you extra space to save files. This way you have more space on the C drive.